Monday, November 10, 2008

Arete in Irving and My Attempts at Poetry

Hello again!
So at the University of Dallas there are three really cool summer programs. "Latin in Rome", "Shakespeare in Italy" and "Arete in Irving". For those first two you actually go to Italy. Pretty neat, right? As much as I'd like to study Shakespeare in Italy, Irving, TX is definitely a more affordable place to go.
So I'm applying for "Arete in Irving", a summer program that takes place on the UD campus. Basically it's two weeks of reading stuff like Shakespeare, Sophocles, Aristotle and all those other old Greek guys, and writing papers and having discussions and such. Definitely my scene. To apply I have to have a reference form and letter, and write an essay which either praises the virtues of or blames the vices of a historical or literary figure. I have already written a paper about the pride of Antigone for school, which is perfect as it not only fills out the requirements but is also similar to what I'll be doing at the actual summer camp, if I go. So I'll fix that up a bit and send it in. Now even if I get accepted we may or may not be able to pay for it, because Europe or no it's pretty expensive. Please pray that I can go!


I'm not terribly good at making posts with related topics, am I? Because I am now about to talk about poetry. No, fear not, there won't be any Shakespeare this time. My all time favorite poet is Emily Dickinson. Her poems are so imaginative and they are about every topic under the sun, anybody can find a poem by her and relate to it. My favorite is probably:

There is no frigate like a book,
To take us lands away
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!


Sometime I'll post more of my favorite Emily Dickinson poems.

Sometimes when I'm feeling particularly creative, I'll jot down a poem. They usually aren't very good. Here's one I wrote when I was about 7:

Spring, spring,
It's almost here!
Beautiful flowers are coming near
A rose here, a tulip there,
Green grass everywhere!
Spring's coming!


I was so proud of that poem! Today I wrote a poem about my very favorite thing to do: reading. Don't expect anything amazing, it doesn't really follow any of the different forms of poetry, but here it is.

I'm staring at the shelf
Not sure what to choose
A familiar tale I've read before?
Or something altogether new?
Shall I laugh and cry with the characters I know,
Friends I've always loved?
Or should I embark on an unknown path
And embrace whatever comes?
I grab the new book, ready to sail
On a strange and unexplored sea.
Ready to make new acquaintances
With every chapter I read.
I sit down in my favorite chair
I can smell the fresh, unturned pages.
I read the first words, I'm already there,
The scene unfolds before me
And as I become enveloped by fancy
I'm lost to the world
Deep in another,
No one can reach me...


It feels unfinished. Suggestions for a last line anybody?

Love,
*Katie the Koolest*