Thursday, October 8, 2009

For homeschoolers who've heard "Wicked":

Because everyone knows that homeschoolers are unsocialized, here is a parody of "Popular" from Wicked about a girl who desperately wants to be.....well, popular.



Whenever I see someone more socialized than I

And let's face it -who isn't
More socialized than I?-

My tender heart tends to start to weep

And when somebody calls me a dork

Sometimes it drives me quite berserk

But I know, I know

Exactly what they mean.



And even in my case

[pause]

With dreams that some might say it's nuts to chase

Don't worry

I'm determined to succeed

School kids, take heed!

For yes, indeed

I

Will

Be

Popular
I'm gonna be popular

I'll make use of the proper ploys

When I talk to boys

Silly ways to flirt and flounce

[ew]

I'll learn 'bout what shoes to wear

How to fix my hair

Everything that they say counts to be

Popular
I want to popular!

I'll "hang" with the right cohorts

I'll be good a sports

Know the slang I'm supposed to know

Better start, think

I've got a pretty long way to go.



I'm tired of being called a nerd so verily*
Because I read Shakespeare voluntarily
Whoever heard of enjoying history
I have been enlightened
Now it is no mystery
The reasons that I'm not

Popular
But soon I'll be popular
And then I know that you will see
A brand new me
Instead of dreary who I am

(Not "are")
There's nothing that can stop me
From becoming popular
Laa laa, laa laa!
I'm gonna become popular!

Ever since the first grade
I've had no friends
I am so unloved
History books remind me that
I should think of
Celebrated heads of state
Or 'specially great communicators
Did they have brains or knowledge?


Don't make me laugh!
They were popular!
Duh.

It's all about popular
It's not about aptitude
It's the way you're viewed
So it's very shrewd to be

Very very popular
Unlike me.

And if you don't believe
I have it in me
To be more socialized

Sit down and watch me do it!
You're not gonna believe your eyes!

Laa laa, laa laa!
You may be popular,
But not as popular as
I will be!



*I know, this line makes very little sense. I needed something to rhyme with "voluntarily". Suggestions?



2 comments:

miss whimsy said...

Wow. That, my friend, is pure BRILLIANCE, plain and simple!! I'm a beyond amazed! How long did it take you to come up with it?

The Other Katie said...

Wow thanks! lol. I don't know how long it took exactly... like a day I guess. As you can see I kept a lot of the original lines, I'm lazy.