Wednesday, October 15, 2008

PSAT

I took the PSAT this morning at La Vernia High. Dad and I walked to the guidance office for directions (because obviously we had no idea where I was supposed to go). Dad got the attention of the lady at the desk. She looked up, smiled graciously, and said, "Is this the little homeschooler?"
So you see I was very nicely welcomed.
Other than that, the whole thing went fairly well. She was very nice, took me to the classroom where the tenth-graders were taking it, made sure I knew the way back to the guidance office (through a door and down a hallway) and left me in a classroom at the mercy of a test booklet. We filled out the personal information and began the test. My score for the mathematics sections won't be too hot, because I skipped a lot of them, having only just started geometry and never having finished algebra. Luckily, for omitted answers to multiple-choice questions you don't lose points. What questions I did do though, I'm pretty sure I got right. The critical reading and the writing skills stuff was a cinch so the scores for all that I hope will be good. None of it really matters anyway, I'm only doing it this year for experience. I have a whole year to study the math so next year shouldn't be very hard. After the test I went outside to wait for someone to pick me up, not bothering to go to the guidance office and call Dad using the phone which condescending-office-lady had so kindly offered for my use. Mom didn't show up for a while though, so I sat on a bench outside the school with nothing to entertain except a calculator, an index card and a couple of pencils. I played with the calculator for a while before realizing that an index card with the calculator as a hard surface made quite a nice little drawing pad. Aren't you proud of my creative thinking? I knew you would be.
I was doodling when Mom drove up. She said I looked quite like the average highschooler, sitting there. If it was a cell phone or an iPod instead of a makeshift drawing pad the picture would have been complete.

So that was my little "real school" experience. I have but one thing left to say...


Little homeschooler indeed!

4 comments:

Juliana said...

the calculator and index card thing sounds like a spontaneous problem for OM. just thought i'd throw that out. :)

The Other Katie said...

"Build a drawing pad using the materials provided. You will have 5 minutes for Part A and 1 minute for Part B....(blah blah blah)..... you will be judged on teamwork and creativity...(so on and so forth)...and the judges decision is FINAL."

Sounds pretty genuine, huh?

The Real Katie said...

I'm so proud of my little homeschooler *sobs uncontrollably*

The Other Katie said...

um... thanks?