Thursday, October 23, 2008

It's officially fall!

I know, fall "began" a month ago. But that was just for the rest of the world. In my book, fall started today!
It was cold out this morning. It has been cold in the mornings for a while now, but today it stayed cold! More or less. It was in the 50s this morning and is probably in the mid-late 60s now. So now it's somewhere between cool and chilly, but this morning it was FREEZING! Seriously! I'm talking 55-58 degrees out! Oh joy! I much prefer the cold to the heat. As fun as summer is, I like the brisk fall air and all the things that come with it. Hot chocolate, apple cider, the holidays never far away.... this is my favorite time of year. Anyway, we spent the whole morning goofing off outside. How were we actually supposed to stay inside and get schoolwork done when it was so beautiful out? We started in the front yard and eventually all migrated to the back, where we played on the swingset. I don't go on that thing very often anymore. Not that I've outgrown it. The only thing I'm too big for is the monkey bars. Who can outgrow the fun of a swing? I love it... especially when I lay back while going up (used to scare Freddy half to death haha). I love that feeling of flying. When I was little I had a little dream of flying like Peter Pan. I had that wishing rhyme working overtime. I still think it would be pretty cool. Who doesn't?
After we were tired of enjoying the lovely weather, we had hot chocolate. Thus adding to my reasons why today is the start of fall. We haven't had any hot chocolate until today, to my knowledge anyway.
Yesterday the K girls, Grandma, Ben and Mr. T went to Fantastic Sam's. Only two things that happened there are really blog-worthy. It was Lucy's first time getting a haircut at a salon by a stranger, instead of in the bathtub by Mommy.
She. Was. Terrified. She got in the seat, and had no idea what was going on. The chair went up, the poncho-coverup-thingy went on, and she looked absolutely petrified. Poor thing was staring into space with an expression that would make you want to cry... and laugh. She was very good about it though, none of the screaming and kicking that a lot of other kids her age do when that horrible lady with the scissors tries to give them a trim. Afterwards she was all excited about it. "Katie, Katie, I got a cut! They cut my hair! I got a cut!" And she looks like very cute, of course. While we were all getting our hair cut, Ben was sitting on a chair by Grandma in the waiting area. He started crying and looking very sad indeed and everybody started asking him what was the matter, did he want a haircut too? Of course he did. If all his sisters and Mommy were getting their hair cut, well by golly he should certainly get his cut too! So the girl who did Lucy's hair trimmed him up a little, and it looks almost exactly the same, haha. There wasn't much to cut off unless he wanted a buzz, and they only did it for him because he was sad about it anyway. So everybody is happy with their hair.

On Monday everybody carved pumpkins. Jack and Ian did traditional jack-o-lanterns, Grace did a spider and Emma a smiley face. Jack carved a smaller, extra pumpkin and managed to pull off a startlingly good likeness of Charlie Brown from the Peanuts gang. I'd post a photo, but nobody took a picture of it. Anyway, I wanted to do something a little different and tried carving a penguin on mine. It would have been so cute if my artistic abilities were a little sharper. As it was, my penguin was a complete and total failure. I messed the whole thing up in the fist place, so that as penguins go it was beyond recognition, then somebody kicked it's head in (poor, innocent little penguin...), thus creating a large hole. So today I carved a little pumpkin and it didn't turn out too badly. I did a moon with some stars. The stars were a little lopsided, but hey, it's better than nothing.

Grandma and Mom are going on a mysterious errand today. When I asked where, I was informed it was a secret and, "'Tis the season when you're not supposed to ask questions." Guess I'll have to reconcile myself to not learning anything about it until December 25th.

I am reading Macbeth and loving it! I am quickly becoming a Shakespeare nerd. It's all the Freddys' fault! They're rubbing off on me, not to mention dragging me to all those rehearsals in June. jk! I liked going to the rehearsals. Besides, I learned R&J and Dream almost by heart just by watching you guys do them so many times! haha.

So yes, that's a summary of my day and life in general... not much more to say... I wish I could think of something clever to close this post with. I can't so I'll just say: have a good one!

4 comments:

The Real Katie said...

*looks around* Freddy meaning ME?! I remember you used to scare the living daylights out of me when you would swing!!!! YOU WERE UPSIDE DOWN!!!!!

and lucky you. fall started here goodness knows. i stood out in the cold on friday night and sunday morning, listening to jeff (romeo in r&j) saying "it's not cold!" yeah. whatever.

anywho... LET'S QUOTE SOME SHAKESPEARE!!! it is the east, and juliet is the sun. *sigh*

The Real Katie said...

Oh yes... by the way... i tagged you for the desert island meme!!! yay! <3

The Other Katie said...

"....love and reason keep little company together nowadays."
I love that line. It's so true and so hilariously appropriate for the scene.... Titania's love for Bottom doesn't exactly have a lot of sense in it. lol.
"Do you bite your thumb at me, SIR?"
Haha! I love how Romeo and Juliet is a tragedy but it still has some uber-funny lines.
"By and by I come!"
In other words, "I'M COMING! SHEESH!"
Juliet is so thirteen.

The Other Katie said...

HOW COULD I FORGET!
"Get you gone, you dwarf; You minimus, of hindering knot-grass made, you bead, you acorn!"
BEST. LINE. EVER.

Not to mention that the delivery by Sarah was fantastic! Sarah is the coolest Lysander ever!