Monday, November 9, 2009

Latest from the greatest

I've been listening to new music from two of my favorite artists; Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood.
Taylor released her second album, Fearless, almost a year ago, and just recently released a platinum version of the same. I'm not gonna buy the whole thing because it's about $16.00 on iTunes and has a bunch of music videos on it, which take too long to download and that I'd probably only watch once or twice anyways. But it also has several new songs, and a piano version of a song from the original album, "Forever and Always" (yes, the song she wrote about Joe Jonas). It's beautiful; the original version is upbeat, and Taylor's singing is angry and accusing. This is slow, with entirely different instrumentals, and Taylor fills her voice with sadness and regret. Amazing what different emotions can be put into a song when sung and played differently. I bought that, and two new songs: "The Other Side of the Door" and "Come In With The Rain," both great songs.

Carrie has just recently come out with her third album, Play On. Again, I haven't bought the whole album...I tend to just buy the songs that I think I'll like. And I really, really like what I did buy. Previous to the album release, I got two singles, "Cowboy Casanova" and "Mama's Song".
"Cowboy Casanova" is great fun, fast-paced with great music and vocals. "Mama's Song" is much more simple and sweet, a reassuring song to the mother of the bride- "He is good, so good, and he treats your little girl like a real man should." I should probably consider playing this at my wedding, to counter the song "Slipping Through My Fingers" that Mom might want to play. :-P
The other day I bought four songs from the new CD. "Change", "Temporary Home" (a rare song reminding us that our real home is in heaven), "What Can I Say" (featuring Sons of Sylvia), and the title track, "Play On". Every song is great and worth listening to and buying. My favorite right now is "What Can I Say". I've never heard of Sons of Sylvia but the guy's voice is pretty good and the song is so pretty. :)

Such are my current adventures in musicland. Next up, adventures in reading!


No comments: